Pioneer & Past Family Directory
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
We are very proud of our pioneering history in the Shire of Dalwallinu. We have compiled this directory from the plaques on our pioneer & past residents wall (situated down Johnston St, Dalwallinu).
Cr Robert Nixon, President, Shire of Dalwallinu unveiled this plaque on the 16th September, 2006.
If you would like to organise a plaque of your pioneering family please complete the Pioneer & Past Residents Application Form and return to the Shire.
For more information contact Christie on 08 9661 0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anderson, Harry & Ethel
Arrived in Dalwallinu District in 1910 taking up virgin land at East Pithara. They were both born in Victoria and came to the goldfields of Western Australia in the 1890’s where Harry worked as an engine driver on the state battery at Menzies. Harry and Ethel developed their property “Melrose” which totalled 5000 acres by the time Harry retired in 1958. They were both active participants in community affairs. Harry having served as a member of the Dalwallinu Road Board and as president of the Dalwallinu Agricultural Show while his wife was a keen member of the local branches of the CWA and the Red Cross Society.
Anderson, Jack & Hilda
John Samuel (Jack) Anderson arrived in the district with his parents in 1910 and after attending the Pithara State School and Scotch College he returned to the family farm in 1920. He married Hilda (nee Carson) in 1925. Both were participants in sporting and community activities. Hilda was an accomplished golfer and tennis player and a member of the Pithara CWA Committee. Jack was captain of the Pithara Cricket team and the Ninghan Country Week Cricket team, as well as the Pithara Golf Club. Jack was a member of the Dalwallinu Road Board and served as chairman from 1947-1949.
Annetts, Walter William
Moved to Western Australia from Mossvale NSW during the gold rush in 1900. He married May Delahunty and continued to live at Boogardie until 1910. They then moved to North Dalwallinu in a horse and cart with their children. He commenced clearing the virgin land with an axe before they could plant a crop. He served on Dalwallinu Shire Council from 1923-35 and from 1936-46 and was president for 6 years. Proudly remembered by his son Richard and family who continued farming until 2005.
Members of the Arbuckle family left their native Germany to settle in America many years ago. From there a branch of the family spread to Australia. Alfred Arbuckle of Moonie Ponds, Victoria sailed to Western Australia late last century. He married Henrietta Buffington at St Andrews Presbyterian Church in Perth on 9th June 1898. Alfred selected 2,000 acres of land north of Dalwallinu in 1910. Alfred and son Fred, aged 10, settled on the property preparing for the arrival of the rest of his family, who followed in 1911. These included Mrs Arbuckle, daughters Ida Ivy and son Jack. They named the farm "The Pines". Mr Alfred Arbuckle was a member of the Dalwallinu Road Board for some years. His son Alfred William James "Fred", grandson Beresford "Berry", great-grandson Shane, all worked for the Road Board or Shire Council. Fred married Jean Millicent Hope in the Dalwallinu Congregational Church in 1926. Rev Tevelyn Sullivan officiated. Fred and Jean had six children, Beresford, Ivy, Hetty, Matty, Robert and Jennifer.
Harry Leonard (Bill) Atkinson and his wife Jesse took up a war service block at Nugadong in 1948. They raised six children on the farm they called Cheltenham Park. Bill served as a councillor and Shire President and was granted a Freeman of the Shire in 1996. Jesse was a busy and productive community member in many organisations and was awarded an OAM in 1988.
Augustin, Babette & Leonhard
Arrived from Germany on the ship "Gneisenau" on the 25/3/1912 at Fremantle. From there, they went to the Buntine area by horse and cart, obtaining water from rock holes on the way and took up land four miles south of the Buntine townsite. Leonhard started ringbarking on the 29/9/1912. Babette was the first white woman in the Buntine area. Together they dug a 1000m3 dam, Leonhard on the pick and shovel, Babette on the wheelbarrow. The house they built was of bush timer, the floor earth and the walls were super phosphate bags with an iron roof. They had seven children and farmed till 1934.
Bailey, Edward James
Worked as a horse trainer before coming to Wubin in 1927. He and his wife, Dorothea, came from Avening, Gloucestershire, England and leaving behind his mother and sister Ethel.
Their only son, Robert (Bob) continued to farm in Wubin, before leaving the area. He held the land until 1990.
Batterham, Clifford Vernon
Cliff came out from England on the "SS Barradine" with his parents Edward and Daisy, arriving in Australia early 1923. Aged 14. He worked as a farmhand before the family took up and cleared land in the Kalannie area around 1926. For added income he worked as a shearer in the district. With his brother Cyril he also did some work on the Rabbit Proof Fence. He married Elsie Pollard in 1935. They raised six children. During the Second World War he was man-powered to Williamsons’ farm at Dalwallinu where he stayed for 10 years. He returned to farming at Kalannie, then Wubin before retiring.
The Bell Brothers
Arthur James Bell came to Dalwallinu aged 20, in 1910, settling on location M1902. He was a member of the Dalwallinu Road Board and chairman during WW2. He served in the 1914-18 war with distinction. Anthony Morphett Bell came to Dalwallinu aged 19, in 1913, settling on location M1901. Robin Athol Bell came to Dalwallinu aged 17, in 1913 settling later, on location M1898. Robin served in France during the 1914-18 war in the same battalion as his brother Arthur.
George Bradford born Madras, India. Arrived from Kent England in 1886 on ship Elderslie. George and Ada with sons Reg, Les, Fred and daughter Dorothy (Mrs Campbell) came to Damboring in 1913. George went to WW1 in 1915. On returning George and Ada bought an orchard at Toodyay. Reg and Clare, Les and Nell Bradford farmed "Touella" for many years. Noel and Gwen Bradford and four sons continue farming at Damboring in 2006.
Browning, Laurence George Woolnough
Late August 1910, aged 18, Laurie became the youngest settler in his own right. He and J.C. O’Dea walked from Moora with pony and cart, carrying water tanks, provisions etc to their blocks, Browning’s being Ninghan 325/326. Whilst clearing and beginning cropping, Laurie worked for Murphy-Wilgie Hills. Surviving the 1914 drought he enlisted in the AIF seeing 4 years service in France, being gassed and awarded the military medal for bravery. Married Doris Marian Wilson of Dalwallinu in November 1921. Laurie was a keen sportsman – tennis-cricket-golf and later bowls, and a dedicated community member holding office in RSL, Farmers’ Union, Congregational Church. From 1942/45 Laurie, with the rank of Captain the VDC (Dalwallinu, Pithara, Kalannie, Ballidu). This position included responsibility for the scorched earth policy in the event of Japanese invasion. Doris was a great community worker including divisional office-bearing in CWA. She also supported the hospital auxiliary, church and agricultural society. When a school was needed Laurie donated land for the East Pithara school, and with others, organised the dismantling, cartage and re-erection of the Kokerdine school building. On their retirement their only surviving child, Brian and wife Pat, continued farming with their three children until selling the property in 1984.
Budge & West Families
In 1927, John and Euphemia Budge settled on a virgin block of 2500 acres situated 9 miles west of Buntine. They stayed on the farm which they named "Calita" until the great depression forced them off in 1933. The farm was transferred to Albert West who later married their daughter Irene. They battled on until things started to improve and finally retired to Perth in 1972. Sons Roy and Kevin West continued on with wives Rosemary and Gail until Kevin and Gail moved to Beverley in 1982. Roy and Rosemary farmed the property which had grown to 7500 acres until early 2006 & son Bradley and wife Hayley remain on "Calita" at this time.
Butcher, Oscar & Dorothy
Oscar, aged eighteen emigrated form England on the “Armadale” December 1910. He did various jobs in the country before settling in West Pithara in 1914. He then moved to South Dalwallinu in 1916, where he married Elena Gustavson. They had two sons, Leonard and James. Oscar was widowed in 1920. After returning to the U.K. to visit his family, he settled in 1922 on the property named “Elena” 4 miles east of Pithara. In 1925 he married Dorothy McGarry from Kalgoorlie and had two children, Elton and Betty. Oscar was an active district citizen, including wartime road board chairman. Retiring in 1948 to Waterman. Fondly remembered by Elton and Betty Beggs and families.
We are looking for information on the following family names:
If you have any information on the above please email email@example.com.
In 1927 Brother Henry, Reuben, Tom and George came from Victoria to start farming 4 virgin blocks at Jibberding, East of Rabbit Proof Fence on edge of Lake Goorly at “Cailbro”. Several years later sister Amy and mother Grace came to live at Cailbro. Started farming at Cailbro with tractor but went to horses during depression until after the war. Reuben married Dolly Fiedler children Les & Thelma. Tom married Hilda Retallick children Bob, Elsie, Ormond, Wally, Noel. George married Dorris Pettit children Dorris, Bert, Alice, Lucy. Amy married Jack Carter children Bill, Harry, Dennis. Henry and Reuben where farming Chinkapook, Tom, George, Amy & Grace came from Melbourne.
Cailbro School 1939 – 1956
One room mud brick school built by local community on south end of Cailbro Farm. 5 years as assisted school then a government school. First pupils Les Cail, Athol Mitchell, Thelma Cail, Bill Carter, Bob Cail, Last pupils Lucy Cail, Noel Cail, Thelma Eatts, Graeme Eatts, Charlie Eatts, Alex Eatts, Bobby East and Tony East.
Campbell, James (Jimmy) & Williamina (Ina)
Left Ballantrae Scotland to find a better life and settled in the Dalwallinu District. Firstly Jimmy worked for Jim Sawyer and then farmed “Kirkdoon” near Dalwallinu. When land was released at Kalannie in 1926 they were granted Location 1944 and named the farm “Ballantrae”. They took a keen interest in sporting activities and the progress of the district particularly the establishing of a school at Xantippe, often boarding the teacher. Ina was a staunch member of the Kalannie branch of the C.W.A. at one time being President. Jimmy and Ina retired to Perth in 1952 and now in 2006 “Ballantrae” is still operated by their descendants.
Cooper, Anthea Patricia (Coops)
Arrived in Dalwallinu in 1968. For many years was a volunteer extraordinaire as St John Ambulance driver, first aid instructor and convenor for district, school bus driver, Girl Guide instructor and organizer of Anzac Day services. A hard act to follow – appreciated and missed by all.
We are looking for information on Court, A.H. If you have any information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Derrick, George William & Alma
In 1910 George William Derrick and his wife Alma and children Nell, Beatrice and Henry arrived in Dalwallinu from Victoria. They settled and George worked at sinking dams, scrub clearing and cartage up and down the Rabbit Proof Fence and surrounding districts with his bullock team.
Dickins, Abel & Sarah
Abel & Sarah arrived in Fremantle from England on the “Australind” in 1913 with their children Archibald, Dorothy, Bernard and Lesley. After settling the family with friends, Abel and Arch journeyed by train to Marne and then walked to West Pithara to find their land. A virgin block of 1000 acres was purchased to start their farming career and they lived in a camp for many years. Sarah remained in Fremantle for the younger children’s education. A new home was built in 1923 when Sarah and children returned to the farm “Longville”. Land was purchased over years by Arch and Flora, Bern and Lois, Les and Ethel and farmed independently. After 93 years and four generations their families are still farming and living on “Nillumbik”, “Wahroonga” and “Longville”.
We are looking for information on Deacon family. If you have any information please contact email@example.com.
No 'E' family names registered at this time.
If you know of a family that should be registered please contact the shire offices on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for information on Flynn family.
If you know of a family that should be registered please contact the shire offices on email@example.com.
In particularly, we are looking for information on a Garland, J
If you know of a family that should be registered please contact the shire offices on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grandell, August Charles
Came to Wimmera Farm from Horsham, Victoria in 1917 on one of the first trans trains. He was the brother-in-law of William Harding Sawyer and for W.H. Sawyer & Sons until 1922 when he moved to his block, Ningham Loc, 619 at Xantippe. Augie was the first person to live and work east of the Rabbit Proof Fence in this area. Towards the end of the Great Depression he sold his fam and returned to Wimmera Farm where he worked until 1957. He continued living with the sawyer family until 1969 when he moved to Sunset Mens Home, Dalkeith but died the following year. Augie was noted for his wood carvings, done with a pocket knife, for which he won prizes at Perth Royal Shows.
Hazlett, William John Dripps & Higgon, Hannah
Bill was born in Fryerstown Victoria in 1869. He married Hannah in 1905, who was born in Port Augusta, South Australia in 1883. They arrived in the Dalwallinu district around 1921. Bill initially worked for Oscar Butcher and then managed Dr Dermer’s farm at Wubin. In 1922 they took up their own virgin block at Struggle Street, Xantippe. After his death in 1931, the farm was taken over by his sons Dave (B1907) & Bill (B1909). Hannah died in Rockingham in 1952 and both are buried in the Dalwallinu cemetery. Their daughter Hannah was to marry Jim Sawyer and their son Jim now owns this property at Xantippe.
Many descendants still live in the area.
Hathway, Alfred James
Known as “Pom”
Arrived in Dalwallinu from Bristol U.K. in 1922 He obtained employment with Mr. Jim Sawyer and they became life long friends. Pom applied for land lot no.s 1949 and 1129 in Kalannie which he named “over Park”. He married in 1924 and built a house, cleared the land and raised a family of 4. Widowed in 1939. Pom married again in 1945 and raised 2 more children.
Alfred John Harris, farmer, preacher, with wife Catherine Anne and their 6 children arrived in W.A. from Framfield, Sussex, England, aboard the “S.S. Orontes” in March 1903. 2 more children were born in W.A. Alfred and eldest son Melville (Mel) arrived at Dalwallinu in March 1910 taking up “Albany Park”. Location 1905, and other property west of town. That year 3 acres were cleared and planted to wheat using an improvised wooden harrow. With the first winter rains falling on the 4th of May. The crop did well and was later cut for hay using a scythe. Catherine studied midwifery before following with Winifred (Freda), Olive, Alfred John (Jack), Gertrude, Robert (Roy), Ralph and Joyce. Her role as homemaker and midwife was of great benefit to many. Alfred was a founding member of the Dalwallinu Farmers Cooperative Store and Agricultural Society. The 4 sons farmed lifelong in the area. In 2006 a 5th generation is still farming in Dalwallinu.
We are looking for information on Hickey (W). If you have any information please contact email@example.com.
Hyde, Charles & Eliza
Charles Edward and Eliza Hyde formerly of Raywood Victoria took up 3000 acres of land at Dalwallinu in 1910. They brought with them 8 of their 11 children being Hilda, William, Charles, James, Arthur, Clarice, Norman and Cuthbert. Also Raywood employee Dick Ross. In subsequent years more land was purchased. Any requirements not produced on the farm had to be carted from Watheroo by horse drawn wagons until the railway reached Dalwallinu in 1914. Charles Edward Hyde had previously been mayor of Raywood and was Chairman of the Dalwallinu Road Board from 1916-1926.
We have no 'I' families currently registered.
If you have information on any pioneer families please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Herbert and Hilda Jaeschke and twin sons Colin and Raymond settled in Dalwallinu in 1929. Herbert worked as a P.M.G. technician before taking up land at West Wubin.
We are looking for information on the Jaggs Family. If you have any information please contact email@example.com.
Jenner, Arthur Cyril
With Tom Hodgson took up war service block number 36 on the Glowery Estate in 1922. Their camp was on the site of the 36 well – an important water supply 3 miles west of Nugadong. When cleared the block was divided. Cyril married Hilda Hughes in 1934, they had two daughters, Peggy and Lorna. Peggy and husband John Hodgson took over the property “Shirley” from 1959, and Cyril retired to Northam to live with Lorna. The property was sold to Charles Hyde and Family in 1986.
We are looking for information on the Kelly family. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have information for our records.
Migrated from Worcestershire, England July 1923. On arrival was sent to a farm in the Marne area. After working many jobs including road clearing for the Dalwallinu Shire such as Marne, Dickins, Gatti & Lloyd Roads. Arthur took up his farm in 1925 seven miles south of Pithara named his farm Woodgrange. Arthur married Ivy Inglis in 1937 and raised six children Margaret, Rosemary, Bill, Valerie, Norma & John. The farm remained in the family and was sold in 2004.
Locke, Frank & Evelyn
Frank came to Dalwallinu from Busselton in 1913 to help his brothers settle in the district. Franks property “Tolhurst” was purchased under the soldier settlement scheme being 800 acres partially cleared, later increased to 6000 acres. Evelyn was daughter of Fred and Evelyn Koeppe who ran a small goods store in town. Their wedding in 1927 was the second in the Congregational Church. Evelyn was a founding member of CWA. They worked for the community. Frank died in 1962 and soon after Evelyn left the district.
“Morialta” – East Damboring
Ninghan Locs. 836, 1618, 1619
1919, Lanark Donald Lyon took up new land at rifle range & Meadow Roads Junction. Wife Olive Myrtle (nee Forward) and 5 children Leslie, Iris, Gerald, Thelma & Phyllis joined him Christmas 1921.
Formerly a Bricklayer, Don Lyon designed their new home and with the assistance of the family, it was completed 1930s. The property was sold 1960’s and has since been amalgamated into another. This family made a significant contribution to benefit social, sporting and community activities.
We are currently looking for information on the following families:
If you have any information please contact email@example.com.
Thomas McCreery born 1880 in Northam and was married in Northam in 1904 to Frances Ettridge (B 1884) in Coomunga SA. Six children were born to them: Hope born 1905; Jack born 1908 who died at birth; Violet born 1910 who died at three months; Jean born 1912; Murray born 1914 and Norma born 1921. Thomas worked at Royals in Goomalling with Albert (Dapper) Jenkins and Terry McCann and in 1922 they all shifted to Dalwallinu when Thomas brought the newly built, Roberts grocery store.
In 1925 they took up virgin land just east of the Rabbit Proof fence and developed this on weekends while still running the store.
Once the house was built, they shifted to the farm in 1926, selling the shop in 1928 to the Owens family.
Thomas & Frances shifted to Perth in 1945 on the marriage of their son Murray (Brud) to Margaret Buckely a nurse at the Dalwallinu hospital. Thomas died in 1953 and Frances in 1955.
Their descendants continue to farm in the area.
Bob, Son of Bob & Agnes, born Guildford, WA. Visited Dalwallinu in 1909 - Town well being sunk and land surveyed. First resident white child, he lived near the well for over a year before meeting another child. One of the first group of School Children in 1912. As a child he frequently baled the last water from the well and did the store run to Marchagee and Gunyidi. Worked on the family farms and pulled sandalwood around Lake Moore. Worked as a town carrier, PMG then CBH until 1970. The receival point is named in his honour. Bob was gate keeper at the Dalwallinu Agricultural Show for over 30 years and also doorman at the Hospital Picture Nights.
Emma (Fisher) born Southern Cross spent her childhood in Southern Cross and Leederville. Worked at Rayners Boarding House and became engaged to Bob the night of the official opening of the second Dalwallinu Hall in 1924. They Married and had 14 children - Joy, Robert, Agnes, Malcolm, Jean, William, Alan, Betty, Reg, Patricia, Colin, Graham, Marlene and Colleen. Bob was noted for his hard work and integrity, Emma was mother to all.
McLevie, Bob & Agnes
Bob was born 1865 Woodend, Victoria and died 1930 in Dalwallinu. Bob had previously been a drover in NSW & QLD. He joined the New Australia movement and settled in Paraguay in 1893. He worked in Argentina and UK coming to WA in 1896. He was a cartage contractor at Lion Mill & Heidelberg. In September 1909 he inspected land at Dalwallinu before settling at Courtlea (Pinchgut) in 1910. Bob planted the first wheat crop in Dalwallinu using a forked log scarifier. He was noted for his generosity and universal wisdom and was a great raconteur. Agnes born 1863 Ayr Scotland and died 1939 Dalwallinu. Childhood was spent in Yarrawonga Vic. She, along with her husband and son (Bob), were the first family in Dalwallinu. They camped at the well for 2 years living in a wattle and daub humpy. She baked bread and cooked for the camp and was known as the camp mother. McLevie’s farmed at Dalwallinu, Xantippe and leased Bannerwah Station.
Three brothers (Hugh, Charles and George) were amongst the first farmer at Dalwallinu from 1910 and came from Raywood, Victoria. They were sons of Charles McNeill (who arrived from Carrowcashill, N. Ireland in the 1870s to live at Eaglehawk then Raywood, Vic) and Ann McNeill (nee Dolman). The McNeill’s original land at Dalwallinu was three blocks due east of the town and running northwards along Great Northern Hwy to north of Goatcher Road. (Melbourne locations 1885 – Hugh, 1884 – Charles, 1889 – George). Hugh married Barbara Sharp. Their children were Annie (The first baby born to Dalwallinu pioneers on 30.11.1911), Ethel, Norman, Phyllis, Thomas and Doris (Later the wife of the premier Sir David Brand). Charles married Caroline Irvine. Their children were Sylvia, Reg, Haidee, Percy and Len. George married Elizabeth Rayner. Their children were Milton and Doug.
Meadows, Jean & Fred
With their infant son Tom settled on their farming property, Ninghan locations 834 and 835 of 2000 acres, 3 miles east of Damboring siding early in April 1915. About half of their land was heavy gimlet, morel and salmon gum trees, the balance being ti tree and lighter soils which became affected by salt after being cleared. The family grew to three boys and four girls. Sadly the youngest boy Fred, died accidentally. In 1924 the Damboring School was built on the Meadows property. During the 1930s Fred Senior became a member of the Dalwallinu Roads Board and the Hospitals Board. By this time the property had increased to approximately 2700 acs. With the marriage of son Tom in 1944 Fred and Jean retired to Subiaco and Tom took over the running of the farm. Their eldest daughter Jean worked as a munitions inspector during the war and her three sisters became triple certificate nurses while son George served in the RAAF and after the war became an airline pilot.
Mills, George & Mabel
George and Mabel Mills with Malcolm, Glenyse & Jennifer arrived at Pithara from Beacon in 1938, joining the family later were, Robin, Noel & Susan. Both were active community members while successfully farming at “Wenballa” until their retirement in 1980, George as Shire Councillor, life member of the Dalwallinu Agricultural Society, state executive Farmers Union, director board of Wesfarmers and tireless worker for the Congregational/Uniting Church. Mabel’s community work included 70 years continuous membership of CWA, a member of Dalwallinu Hospital Board. Initiated the formation of the Hospital Auxiliary, Meals on Wheels, Senior Citizens Club and Child Health Services in Dalwallinu. Mabel was awarded a British Empire Medal for her community work. The family continue to farm at Pithara.
Edmund Monks came from Dumphries in Scotland as a lad of 16, arrived in Western Australia in 1912. He worked for the O’Dea and Bonney families in East Pithara before joining the A.I.F. in 1915. He saw service in the artillery, serving in Egypt and France. On return from active service, he married Ida Pern of Pithara and they commenced farming on their virgin property called “Wilgie”. Which was 12 miles north-east from Pithara. They had one child – Noel- Who, after service in the RAAF as a pilot, married Hilary Stanley of Kalannie, in 1952. Their children were Judith, Katherine, David and Susan. Edmund & Ida Monks were active in district affairs especially the Anglican Church at Dalwallinu. Edmund died on his farm in 1969 and Ida died at Cottesloe in 1991.
Moore, John Thomas
Early settler J. T. Moore originally from Waimate NZ selected land, in 1919, “Moorlands” 8 miles west of Dalwallinu, after returning from WW1. John served with the Australian 10th Light Horse Regiment at Gallipoli. He married Edith Ingpen in 1920. Although severely wounded, which left him with a permanent disability, he became a prominent wheat and sheep farmer in the district. Remembered with pride by their family Letitica Peake, Edward John Moore “Jock”, Dorothea Annetts and eleven grandchildren.
We are seeking information on the following family names:
If you have any information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nicholls, Mabel & Reuben
Mabel (nee Smith) and Reuben Nicholls with infant son Kenneth arrived in Fremantle in August 1913. They came from Hinckley, Leicestershire, England. Reuben travelled to Dalwallinu to take up a block of virgin 2000 acres 12 miles east of Dalwallinu. Mabel and Ken followed later when a camp had been established. The property was named “Sketchley” after Dad’s home town. There were and additional six children Rene (Pipe), Norah (Pipe), Hilda (Whyte), Clive, Verna (Huckstep) and Harold all born in WA.
Nixon, Thomas & Isabella
On the 20th July, 1912, together with their children Thomas, John, Frederick, Sylvia, William, Janet and Robert, they sailed from Northumberland, England to Western Australia on the ship Gothic. By January 1914 Thomas (Tom, 16) and John (Jack, 14) had taken up land 17km East of Dalwallinu. Thus began T. Nixon & Sons, with their cropping and livestock enterprises. The Nixons also became stud breeders of clydesdales, combining horsepower for agriculture with award-winners for the show ring. In 1922 William (Bill) and Robert (Bob) enlarged their holdings with property at Kalannie with the combined efforts of the man and women of the family the Nixons were established.
We are looking for information on the Nielson Family.
If you have any information relating to this family name email email@example.com.
Julian and Kathleen nee Townsend and Lucy Anne Townsend nee Drummond were early settlers at East Pithara taking up 3000 acres of virgin land plus more land 6 miles east. “Kilfenora” is the name of the home farm named after a town in Ireland where Julian’s ancestors came from. Lucy Townsend’s ancestors came to Australia on the Parmelia. Julian and Kathleen had five children Dorothy, Terence, Geoffrey, Peter and Barbara. Later Geoff and wife Phyllis nee Bradford took over the farm when Julian and Kathleen retired.
Olds, Lillian & Brian
While training to be a cabinet maker in Subiaco, Brian was also Boy Scouts Leader. There was no work in Perth in 1933 so he came up to Damboring siding to stack wheat in bags. He then started to work for A.F. Pipe. On 12 October 1935 he married Lillian the only daughter of Arthur and Em Pipe. They had two daughters Fay and Pam. Virgin land was purchased from Joe Sutcliffe in 1934. The property is 6 miles west of the Damboring Siding. They built a stone and mud house on the block. Lil was a staunch member & demonstrator for the local C.W.A. Brian and Lil were club members and great workers for both the Damboring and Dalwallinu Ballidu Tennis Association also the Pithara Golf and Bowls. Brian represented the South Ward of the Dalwallinu Roads Board from 1955-1961. They both passed away within months of each other in 1997.
We are currently seeking information on the Olsen family. If you have any information relating to them or any other pioneer family please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
John was a qualified blacksmith came from Zeehan in Tasmania. His wife, Mabel, Nee Slobon, came from Melbourne and they started their life in Western Australia in Cottesloe, in 1901. After establishing their business in Perth, they moved to Sandstone, Perenjori and Pithara, arriving there in 1912. They had four girls – Eva, Ida, Clare & Mabel. After WW1 all the girls married: Eva to Charles Stephens of Gutha, Ida to Edmund Monks of Pithara, Clare to Trevor Sholl of Cottesloe and Mabel to Cyril Minchin of Dangin. When Charles Macintosh – a WW1 pilot visited Pithara, John assisted with running repairs and guarded the wrecked aircraft when Charles crashed on what is now Macintosh Park at Pithara. Mabel died in 1933 and John sold out and went back to Tasmania, where he died in 1940. Proudly remembered by his grandson Noel Monks.
Pipe, Emma & Arthur
Arrived in Fremantle by ship from England in November 1913, with daughter Lillian Dorothy (Olds). They also had two sons Arthur Edward and James William in later years. Arthur senior was a farm manager at Toodyay. They acquired a property named Gavins Clump which is beside the Damboring siding. Emma was known as nana pipe to most people. She was a member of the C.W.A. movement. Arthur was president of the Dalwallinu Agricultural Society from 1937-1946. He represented the South Ward of the Dalwallinu Roads Board from 1934-1946.
Quain, Thomas & Mary (nee Hogan)
Tom and his brother Jack traded as Quain Bros. Builders and Coopers, Perth. Contracts included the original Subiaco St John of God Hospital, and Bunbury Brewery. 1910 virgin land was selected on Damboring East Road. 1913 Tom’s wife, Mary and their 5 children, Catherine, Joseph, Patricia, Agatha and Vincent arrived at “Kya-Lami”. Teresa was born later. Joseph and his wife Mollie (Nee McIntyre) took over the farm in 1952 when Tom retired. “Kya-Lami” remains the family farm in 2006.
Rayner, Christopher John (Cliff) & Ivy Alice Rayner
One of the early pioneers to Dalwallinu, Cliff, arrived from Victoria in February 1910. Later that year in November, Cliff returned to Victoria to marry Ivy. They then settled in Dalwallinu to continue farming on the property he had selected – Melbourne location 1930 – situated on Gotcher Road, 4 miles east from the townsite. During these years they raised a family of five – Madge, Audrey, Cecil, Winton, Winsome.
Rayner , James Archer & Ellen
James Archer Rayner arrived in Dalwallinu from Raywood Victoria to take up the farming property which was allocated to him in 1909 at East Dalwallinu. As well as clearing the land he and George Derrick sank dams in the district. He married Ellen Derrick in 1912 and farmed in the district until his retirement in 1954. He also built a hostel in the town in 1922, which was burnt down circa 1928. His daughter Alma Harris and son Arthur continued to farm in the area for many years. “Ours were the hearts to dare”
Reid & Inglis - est. 1927
Motor Vehicle Sales & Service, Agents for G.M.H. Wigmores & Goldborough Mort.
Proprietors: E.R. (Ted) Reid J.P.
M.J. (Mass) Inglis
A.R. Reid J.P.
All were totally committed to the community. Ted and Mass were involved in raising funds for the first ambulance for the district. They were also founding members of the golf and bowling Clubs. Alans contributions to the community are too numerous to list here, Ted and his wife Beth had four children, Leila (Charlesworth), Elsie (Gittos), Melva (Harris), and son Alan. Alan and his wife Marie had three daughters Jenny (Stevens), Susan (Waterhouse), Leonie (Gericevich). Mass was a bachelor cared for by the Reid Family.
Reudavey, Henry & Cerceda
In 1908, Henry Richard Reudavey arrived in Jibberding, by horse and cart, where he selected and cleared virgin land. A year later he was joined by his wife Cerceda Grace and 2 small children. Cerceda took up position as post mistress and received the B.E.M. for her contribution to the community. As years passed seven more children were added to the family. The property is now owned by his grandson, Trevor and wife, Dianne, as at 2008.
Roach, Edith Dorothea & Stanley John
Stan, as he was known, came to Pithara with his mother and brothers and sister in 1912 from Canning Mills to join their father. Stan acquired land east of the original farm from Mr Smith after helping his family develop the original farm. He played cricket for East Pithara. Tennis at Damboring. He held office as well. He was president of the Dalwallinu Ballidu Tennis Association for many years. They held an Easter Tournament for many years. President of the Pithara Associated Sports Club. Stan was also on the vestry of the Anglican Church. Edith Dorothea lived at Westonia, won a scholarship to Northam High and then taught in single teacher schools for a while, then came to Damboring and Miamoon. Dorothea married Stan in 1938. They set up a home at Pithara. They had three boys, John, James and Frank.
Roach, John William & Mary Elizabeth
Pioneers of the Pithara District the Roaches migrated to Western Australia from Goulburn and Ballarat in the Eastern States. Jack Roach as he was know commenced clearing and living on his allocated block in March 1910, while his family stayed at Canning Mills near Perth. The family joined him on the farm in 1912 after travelling by horse and cart from the rail terminus at Wongan Hills. There were four children – Stan, Les, Roy and Evelyn. Over the years the families acquired more land. The families supported the community in playing sport and belonging to other organizations in the district. Some of the grandchildren still live in the district.
Roach, Samuel & Beta
Sam migrated to Victoria from Devon, England in 1910. Soon after he came to W.A. getting a job checking government wells in the wheat belt until taking up a block at East Pithara in 1912. Beta came in 1916 to marry Sam in Perth and join him on the farm. They had three children – Arthur, Betty (McCann) and Richard. The East Pithara hall cricket ground and tennis court were on a reserve in a corner of the farm. Sam, Beta and family joined in the social life there. Beta was a good cook and needlewoman and loved her garden. Sam also enjoyed his vegie patch.
Roberts, Meredith & Eva
Meredith and Eva (Nee Rhodes) took up farming land adjoining the Dalwallinu townsite in 1912. A combined house-shop was built near the old well. Meredith left his family farm near Nhil, Victoria in 1900 to work on the W.A. Goldfields where he met Eva. Eva’s Grandparents settled on the Greenough Flats in 1857. In 1924 they built a family home, later to become the catholic church, on the edge of the Dalwallinu town. In 1926 they built the hotel and block of shops. Meredith was a member of the First Roads Board in 1916. They had five children, Ivy, William, Ethel, Kathleen & Rose.
Albert, Kathleen Sampey & family settled in Dalwallinu in 1930. They were both very good citizens of the town and community. Albert opened the first and only newspaper in the district "The Northern Eastern Courier".
Sawyer, James Harding
Was the second son of William Harding Sawyer, he came to Wimmera Farm in March 1911 with his older Brother Bill, Jim was 14 and Bill 18. They walked from Goomalling alongside a horse and cart piled with supplies, set up camp and started clearing the block. Their father and younger brother Jack joined them late 1911. Bill was killed in WWI. Jim & Jack continued farming with their father earning money off the farm. Jim married Hannah Hazlett in 1925. They had 4 children, Alice, Betty, Margaret & James Jnr. More farming land at Xantippe was taken up in 1922. In 1957 Jim and Hannah retired to Rockingham living there until 1986 when they returned to Wimmera Farm. They are buried side by side at Dalwallinu.
Sawyer, William Harding
Took up Melbourne location 1644 in 1910 naming it Wimmera Farm. A coach builder/wheelwright by trade, he came to W.A. from Victoria. He & wife Gustava had 4 surviving children, Bill, Jim, Jack & Charlotte. William was left a widower in 1905. In March, 1911, his two eldest sons, Bill & Jim set up camp on Wimmera Farm and started clearing the block. He & younger son Jack came later. To get money to develop the farm William sank wells, built houses and built a blacksmith business in Dalwallinu. He built the first hospital, post office, reid's garage and shamrock tea rooms. He ran the first town lighting plant, the first picture shows and was the local undertaker. In 1925/26 he built Wimmera Farm Homestead. William is buried in Dalwallinu.
Was the eldest son of William Harding Sawyer. At 18 he & younger Brother Jim came to Wimmera Farm in March 1911. Together they started clearing the virgin block. For the next five years Bill was the driving force on the farm. In 1912 he won a government contract for the Gunyidi to Dalwallinu and return mail run. With his horse and cart he weekly picked up the mail from the train at Gunyidi siding delivering it to Robert's store, Dalwallinu for collection. This lasted until 1914 when the train came to Dalwallinu. Bill also had a weekly mail contract delivering to Dalwallinu to East Pithara on horseback. He enlisted in the army during WWI and was killed in Belgium. He has no known grave.
Shannon, W.A. (Bill) & G.E.M. (Gertie)
Bill was a WW1 Veteran, 4 div signals and MM. In 1943 he joined the office staff of the Dalwallinu Roads Board, became secretary to the board in 1945 and occupied that position until his retirement in 1959. Gertie was the 5th child of Alfred and Catherine Harris, in 1917 she was the sole teacher at both Dalwallinu and North Dalwallinu schools, alternating week about. She then trained as a nurse and a midwife in Perth and London. During the 1940s she fulfilled roles as midwife, nurse and matron of the Dalwallinu Hospital.
Smith, Lan Gordon
Arrived at Buntine from South Australia in 1930 to work on his Uncle Arthur Hammat’s farm. In 1932 married Beryl Bain also from South Australia and lived in a two roomed corrugated iron house. After clearing and fencing the farm they purchased it and called it “Cornfields”. They had four children, Gordon, Margaret, Maureen and Shirley. Alan was a member of the Voluntary Defence Corps, Rifle Club and served on the Dalwallinu Shire Council for 12 years from 1951-1963.
Ron and Nell (nee Dawson) Snook commenced farming at Buntine in 1948 under the War Service Land Settlement Scheme. With sons Stan, Ron, Gary and Trevor they farmed “Dobba” (2060 ac) and acquired “Jindarra” (5000 ac) at Maya 1952m and “Dobba West” (3600 ac) at Jurien Bay 1964. Ron Snr, from a Meckering pioneer family, served in the RAAF in WW11. Nell, born in North Fremantle, worked as a station and hotel cook in WA. All the family actively participated in district community organisations. The farms were sold in 1973 and Ron and Nell retired to Jurien Bay. The sons moved onto careers in Federal Public Service (Stan), Cray fishing (Ron & Gary) and WA Fire Brigade (Trevor).
Stanley, Nessie & Edgar
Ed returned from active service in Egypt and France after WW1. He married Nessie Heal in December 1920. They had three children. In 1927 they built the existing store in Kalannie, ran the store, post office and mail run. Ed became station master in 1928 and received the first wheat railed from Kalannie. They bought Springdale Farm, imported sheep in 1932 and established a merino stud in 1936. With son Don they expanded their holdings in North Kalannie substantially mid 1950. Ed served on Dalwallinu Shire Council, Anglican Vestry. They were active community members till retirement in 1965. Children: Morris joined RAAF as a navigator and died in France in 1944. Donald continued farming properties which passed to son Ian. Hilary married Noel Monks and farmed in Pithara District.
David M Strickland came to WA from Healesville, Vic to Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie during the 1893 goldrush. Selected land at E Pithara 1909 married Violet E. Merry. 1919 David AB Strickland their son continued on the farm with his wife Marjorie. Robert A & Lila son of David A at Gowrie 2006
Shirley Strickland Story (more details to follow).
Sullivan, Rev & Mrs
These noble folk started the Dalwallinu area Congregational Church Mission. They served from 1921 until 1954: A remarkable 33 years in one place. Rev. Sullivan travelled with horse and sulky and later a car, visiting along the way. The first services were in halls, schools and private homes. At one time there were 17 preaching centres, over 6,500 square km at Dalwallinu, North Dalwallinu, East Dalwallinu, Pithara, East Pithara, Jibberding, Buntine, East Buntine, Maya, East Maya, Latham, Miamoon, Xantippe, Burakin, Kokadine, Cadoux, Kondut, Ballidu, East Ballidu, Newcarlbean and Damboring. Mrs. Sullivan provided wonderful help in the mission work, maintaining open house for all in need. Rev. Sullivan played football and was a cricket, canaries and finches enthusiast. Their children – Blanche, Lincoln and Tevelyn.
Sutherland, Lois Arthur & Jessie Della
Lou commenced farming at Wenbella, Pithara in 1928. Married Jess in 1930. Parents of June, Robert, John, William & Elizabeth. They purchased Wilgie Hills in 1938 and the Family has farmed there continuously since. Both were actively involved in the community, including Shire of Dalwallinu, Masonic Lodge, Agricultural Society, Red Cross, CWA, Pithara Co-operative Store. Lou & Jes helped found the Pithara Golf Club and Bowling Club; and, with the family members, have been significantly involved with district sports over many years.
Frank and Doris Thaxter were one of the first to take up 5,000 acres of virgin sand plain country 12 miles west of Dalwallinu in 1948. Later added another 4,500 acres which they called “Bell Bird Plains”. Doris came up from East Fremantle in 1950. The land was cleared and farmed for wheat. Later when reliable water was found the bought sheep, cattle and pigs. They had four children Margaret, Ralph, Stuart and Susan. The farm was sold in 1969 owing to Frank’s poor health, and they retired into Dalwallinu with Frank caring for the bowling greens and Doris taking up painting.
Sam Thomson, Business man of Fremantle and councillor and Mayor of East Fremantle for some years, took up land in West Wubin for his sons Harold and Wilkie. Harold enlisted in 1st World War, served in France, married in England and remained there. Wilkie became a minister of religion. In 1914 while ploughing, Harold found a very unusual flower. This could not be identified at the time. In 1916 Wilkie found the same flower. Years later he saw the underground orchid “Rhizanthella Gardneri” described, and recognised it as the flower he had seen previously. The only link now with the district is Thomson Road.
We are currently seeking information on the Townsend Family. If you have any information about this pioneer family or any other relating to the Shire of Dalwallinu please email email@example.com.
William and Dorothy Wilson arrived in Dalwallinu in 1922 to take up farming on 1,000 acre block at Xantippe where they raised eleven children: Bill, Dorrie, Jim, Howie, Charlie, Tom, Ron, Mary, Don, Ian and Shirley.
Welburn, Harry Nelson (Bon)
Bon’s parents came to the farm in May 1919. It was a shock to Lois – a young girl of 21 from Wiltshire England. Harry had been in the country a few years before joining the AIF serving in France. The first child a boy was stillborn so when Bon arrived he was a great joy to his parents. At 20 years Bon joined the RAAF during the Second World War and most of his service was in the Eastern States and Borneo. Bon was active in all sports in the district. He was always at the “busy bee” to help neighbours. School holidays the children kept busy helping around the farm and being with their father – mostly sheep work.
Woods, Sidney Leonard (Sid)
Sidney Leonard Woods was born in 1897 and grew up in a fairly well off family in Willesden/Brondesbury,Middlesex (now Greater London)–near Marylebone. His father was the Chief Sanitary Inspector for Middlesex- which included Smithfield Meat Market.His mother died in childbirth when he was about 2 and his father married again.
As a young man he had gone to WW1 and was a driver at the Somme. He survived this & it made him a very determined man.There is a letter from his father on the War files
wondering where his son was. After war service he worked in engineering and at the silver vaults in Hatton Garden, London.
In January 1922 he boarded the SS Demosthenes in London and arrived at the port of Albany in February of that year and headed north to Marne.
In 1935 he married Victoria Street who had been living in Ballidu before her father John Street, a jeweller ,walked off his farm there in 1929. It’s believed this may have been a Soldier Settlement block given for war service. Meanwhile Gertrude Street married a Sam Wallace from Ballidu & had 2 daughters Dorothy & Helen. Dorothy(deceased 1962) married into the Knapp family. Victoria meanwhile had been working in domestic service on a farm there.
A son Hyden was born in 1936 at Dalwallinu Hospital and was christened at St Luke’s Dalwallinu as a certificate testifies. Later a daughter Jeanette was born. Hyden initially did home schooling and was later boarded with the Bradford family at Damboring allowing him to attend school. Later he went to Pithara School & Northam High School.
Sid Woods became a successful farmer making every post a winner, even growing tomatoes which he marketed locally. His main claim to fame throughout the district which was of vital importance was his ability as a water diviner. He was responsible for the farmers in the district finding water to establish bores. Many today would be thankful to him for this most precious resource. He was acknowledged then as being very accurate with this skill.
In 1952 he sold the property to the Lacey family the adjoining neighbours and retired to Mandurah. Sidney Woods died in 1979.
Welburn, Harry & Lois
Harry purchased land at West Pithara in 1912. Joined the Australian Army (28th Battalion) in 1916. Served in France and Belgium as a signaller. Married Lois in the U.K. in 1918 and returned to Australia on the ship “Benalla” in 1919. They settled on the farm “Lone Pine” and raised six children. In 1951 they retired to another farm at Chittering and “Lone Pine” was then worked by eldest son Bon and his wife Joan. The property remains in the family. Harry, Lois and Bon’s remains are buried on “Lone Pine”.
West & Budge Families
In 1927, John and Euphemia Budge settled on a virgin block of 2500 acres situated 9 miles west of Buntine. They stayed on the farm which they named “Calita” until the great depression forced them off in 1933. The farm was transferred to Albert West who later married their daughter Irene. They battled on until things started to improve and finally retired to Perth in 1972. Sons Roy and Kevin West continued on with wives Rosemary and Gail until Kevin and Gail moved to Beverley in 1982. Roy and Rosemary farmed the property which had grown to 7500 acres until early 2006 & son Bradley and wife Hayley remain on “Calita” at this time.
Whyte, Andrew James & Hilda
Jim was the second son of five children to David and Annie Whyte from Ballidu. He worked on the family farm at Ballidu before becoming a shearing contractor. Hilda was the third daughter of seven children to Rueben and Mabel Nicholls from East Dalwallinu. She was educated in East Dalwallinu before she married Jim in 1943. They commenced farming 1000 acres on Thaxter Road in 1947 and continued farming for 50 years. They had three children, Geoff, Marilyn and Noel. Six grandchildren completed the family. Noel and his son Murray continued the Whyte farming tradition in Dalwallinu
Young, Raymond Ashworth
Moved to West Wubin/Mia Moon area in 1921 with his parents and family. Started farming and mail run to Paynes Find. He married Phyllis Barr in 1942 who was a staunch member of the Wubin CWA. They had five children – Kaye, Shirl, Lin, Kev, Rob. He was a regular exhibitor at the local agricultural show and had a keen interest in football, cricket and pistol shooting. Proudly remembered by all his family.
Fred York arrived in Pithara in 1922 as an apprentice carpenter to his uncle – Andrew Purser York. Fred married Gwen Eatwell in 1933 in Pithara and raised 5 children – Aileen, Claude, Ray, Fred and Evon. Fred was employed by the Dalwallinu Roads Board from 1935 until 1973 (38 years). He was man powered as a grader driver by the armed forces in the 2nd World War. In retirement he made many wooden items for his family. Gwen York was a pioneer of Pithara/Dalwallinu and lived around the areas of Bunketch and Xantippe and went to school in Pithara – she was 1 of 8 children. Gwen’s hobby was her garden and won many gardening competitions.